AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Making some big decisions!!

So since I had Alex and then go sick I feel like my life has been on hold. I have been just getting by and doing what I can to make it through each day. Recently I decided that was not enough and that it was time to continue to move forward. So I made some HUGE choices for me in the past day.

The first choice is I will be applying to graduate school! I want a second Masters in Education Policy and its something I have wanted forever! That being said I have started the application process for 2 schools here in the area and I am taking the GRE in April, applications are due in June so this is a one shot deal for me I have to do well on this test.

The other choice that is a big one for me but not necessarily a major change is I am leaving the first grade. I love teaching but I hate teaching first grade. The reason I have stuck with it this long is because its what I know. I had a very long conversation with my principal yesterday about my future, my career goals, and just how I was feeling about my current place. First grade has been a great starting point for me but I want to teach older kids and the older Alex gets the less I want to teach the little ones. First graders are very clingy and needy and it's completely out of my element to deal with that on a consistent basis. I have done so this long because its my job and I have gotten use to it but it is not where I want to be.

So next year I will be teaching third grade. This is a huge deal because my ratings as a teacher will now be based on how well my students perform on a standardized test which is a huge weight added to my already heavy load. My principal promises me as much support as she can give and I am moving to a team of amazing teachers that will give me a huge amount of support. I am looking forward to this change.

1 comment:

WhoButMe said...

yay!! grad school and third grade ...how exciting!!

Seems like everyone is in study mode!!