AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Thursday, July 22, 2010

How things change...

Before I became a mother and even before I was ever pregnant I had this ideal of what I would do when I had a child. I have to admit although I stick to tons of the things I am committed to A LOT has also changed.

Co-sleeping was something I was against up until Alex left my belly. I thought it was dangerous and I just did not want to create a habit we could not break. I now could never give a co-sleeping parent a side eye because this baby has not left my side since the moment he was born. I have tried him in his bassinet and he just cries. No one get any sleep when we attempted to make him sleep in his own space and we are all so much happier when he is sleeping with us. I spoke with a lactation consultant earlier this week and realized that co-sleeping is likely something that we won't break out of for at least the first year. I plan to breast feed for a year and the LC made it clear to me that in her experience working moms who have long term breast feeding goals are more successful when they co-sleep. This being the case simply because that is when I will nurse the most. I think if told this when I was pregnant I would not have been willing to see past baby sleeping with us. Now all I can see is maintaining my goal of nursing for a year at whatever cost.

I am also a huge baby wearer. I thought Alex would be in a stroller more but my Moby Wrap is the BEST baby gift we received!! It is so much easier to get around with him wrapped all snug as a bug on my chest then lugging the stroller every where. The wrap has also become a necessity in order to get daytime chores done. We needed to get laundry done and needed to straighten up. Alex likes to be close and it was to a point where when he was down he was crying and no one could accomplish a thing. Now I wrap in my Moby and we keep moving. If had to give any advice to a new parent it would be to find a carrier, wrap or sling that you like and definitely invest in it! Its been worth it for us.

The more I read and the more I learn about my parenting style the more I understand the philosophies of attachment parenting. I don't think Alex wanting to be close to his mom and me accommodating that is me spoiling him. I believe that letting a baby Cry it Out or forcing a newborn into a schedule before they are ready is a bit much. Just like life has changed drastically for us it has for them too! Babies spend 9 months in the warmth of their mommies wombs. When they come out things change a great deal for them as well!

I am loving every moment of mommy hood and I will admit I have pretty much separated from society. I go back to work A LOT sooner than most. Alex will be 8 weeks and I just want to enjoy every single second I have with him before I have to leave him. As a result I have taken to answer the phone less and playing, feeding and napping with my baby MORE!

He has a pediatrician appointment next week so I will give updates on him then!

Tonight I am going to a meeting with ICAN which stands for the International Ceserian Awareness Network. Its a support group for women who have had C-Sections and for me I think it will be a way to continue to come past the fact that I had to have one. I am looking forward to meeting some new moms as well!

No comments: