AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Cosleeping...

So Alex has been sleeping with us since day one. We have a co-sleeper that attaches to the side of our bed and sometimes he sleeps in that but for the most part he sleeps right in the bed with us. We keep pillows and blankets away from him and I am a super light sleeper so I am actually up a good portion of the night off and on checking on him. So I feel we safely co-sleep and I don't think there is any real issue. However everyone else does!! I have been told over and over that we need to put him in his own bed in his own room and I am just not there yet. Honestly I love keeping him close to me additionally I am still nursing and its convienant. My lactation also told me she encourages me to co-sleep until I decide to stop nursing because it will help me get through the lack of nursing during the day.

My aunt told me the other day that she feels I am being selfish and interfering with Alex's ability to develop independence by allowing him sleep with us. This actually made me SUPER upset! I don't feel that I am doing this. Alex is capable of sleeping pretty much wherever I put him and doesn't depend on me for it. Furthermore he is 3 months...How much independence does he really need?

I will move him to his room eventually but for now I am content with our current arrangement and I don't see what the issue is.

3 comments:

Jin said...

I'm not a fan of cosleeping (probably because our bed is already tiny for the two of us) and we don't think it'd work for us, but we're not one to force our stance on other people. And if it works for you then it works for you. Everyone else can go jump off a curb.

Simply Me... said...

I was actually very much against cosleeping until he was born lol. I do have every intention of transitioning him to his crib soon I am just dreading having to physically get up at night. So it's completely me! But I agree that I don't force my parenting beliefs on others so I rather others keep their opinions to themselves.

Alesha said...

Hi there! Okay, it has been SO LONG since I have read your blog. First, CONGRATULATIONS on Mr. Alex!! He is adorable! Don't feel bad about co-sleeping. We ended up cosleeping as well. For his first few months, Eli did not sleep well on his back and I did not put him to sleep on his stomach, so he slept on my chest every night. Yes, it is so convenient. Especially when they wake up every two hours. We started trying to transition to the crib around 4 months and then he got sick, so we kept him in our room again. Now he's back on his regular schedule in his crib. Like Alex, Eli will sleep where ever we put him. I decided not to move him to the crib until he started STN. It is brutal to walk from room to room a few times a night. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks and just do what you're comfortable doing. That is awful that she said you were being selfish! How rude. He's your baby, not hers.