AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Monday, May 3, 2010

New School????

So I have been looking actively for a new job and have had very little luck. A school I have wanted to go to since LAST year seems to have expressed great interest in me. So whats the problem right???
Not really a problem just feeling am I wrong for wanting to escape the chaos. I work in a High Needs school I chose to do so because I wanted to teach where I was needed most and affect change with the students who needed it most. However in deciding to do that I realized that I also was taking on so many other things. The students aren't my only issue. The school as a whole is poorly managed and disorganized. My principal does not care and these kids are allowed to behave however they want because there are little to no consequences. For example there is a 4th grader who attacked 3 teachers, throwing a chair at one of them, she was back in school the next day. Last year 2 boys attempted to set the bathroom on fire ummmmm NEVER got suspended, expelled NOTHING. I can't take this!!! I can deal with the unruly kids that's no issue but I NEEED and want support from the administration.
The new school is a dream come true its in a better part of the city and I would without a doubt send my own child there. The school is run smoothly, dicipline is not taken lightly and I would absolutely get the support I need as a new teacher.
Does wanting to go to a better place make me a "sell out?" These kids are for the most part performing where they need to be if not higher. The kids I teach now are at minimum two grade levels behind. The need for good teachers where I work is a real one but the truth of the matter is good teachers leave because they get ZERO SUPPORT.
What do you think???? What would you do???
For what its worth I am sure I am leaving but I guess I just need to get past feeling bad about it....

1 comment:

Jin said...

I say leave. If it's causing you this much stress do to disorganization and other things, then head on out. You'll have enough things on your plate when Alex gets here until the time he's in kindergarden and the last thing the three of you need is you coming home already super stressed. Good luck!