AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

My Stubborn child

So I may or may not have mentioned in the past that my little man is "Sunny Side Up" or Posterior. What this means is even though he is head down his back is to mine and that is still not a proper birthing position.

A baby ready to deliver should be positioned like this:






Mine is positioned like this:



I was being patient because I figured he would eventually turn around and get into a proper position as we near closer to my due date. I guess I was wrong because he is STILL posterier. What does this mean? It puts me at risk for a longer harder labor, It also puts me at risk for a labor that can be more painful and possibly stall. Stalled labor can lead to a C-Section which I think we all know for me is NOT an option if it is in ANY way preventable.

So what can I do....I am going to a chiropracter Saturday that specializes in rotating babies. He came highly recommended from our Bradley Instructor, Midwife and our Birthing Assistant. I am also doing specific excercises daily to get this baby to turn. Otherwise I am just going to pray about it. As birth nears I hear more and more comments about how my decision to birth the way I have chosen is crazy and I "will change my mind" this is not going to happen.

I am believe it or not looking forward to labor and delivery. Amir told me last night he wants to catch the baby which is something I am SO excited about. The dad had 3 responsibilities according to Claudia our Birth Assistant. They are Catch the baby, Call or Confirm the sex of the baby, and Cut the cord. I know some people dont care about those things but Amir playing an active role in bringing our son into this world means SOOOO much to me. When we first met Claudia Amir said he was in no way doing any of the above mentioned. He said he MAY cut the cord. I never mentioned it again I felt this was his choice and his wish. So last night when this came up again and Amir said he absolutely intended to do all three I was so happy!!! I really can not wait for this baby and that includes laboring abd delivering my child the way I have always intended. YES I know it will hurt but it will be absolutely worth it when I am holding Alexander in my arms!!

2 comments:

Jin said...

Ok, so maybe my brain is on leave right now (and it's certainly plausible that it is) but for the life of me I can't remember what type of birth you wanted (and I went through your entire blog, lol). So which route are you taking? Send me a fb message if you dont want to put it out here. I'm researching my options.

Anyway, I hope the dr is able to flip Alex, and you dont get the crazy long labor and/or c-section. I'm looking foward to l&d as well, regardless if there's 23 weeks left to get through, lol. I'm not seeing what it is that freaks everyone out. Pain sucks, but life is full of different types of pain.

Heather R. said...

Both my babies were born sunnyside up. You can still feel the pain/pressure even with an epi, but it's totally doable. I was in labor over 24 hours with #1 (9lbs 4oz) and 15 hours with #2 (8 lbs 6 oz). You can do it!