AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Back in the Hospital

Yep.... I am BACK in the hospital, been here since Thursday. I was admitted for emergency surgery do to an infection in one of my tissue expanders. I had been feeling kind of run down all week but thought I was catching the flu. My immune system is already weak and people all around me including both Amir and Alex have been sick so I figured thats why I was feeling run down. Wednesday I was suppose to go to a meeting a Georgetown and out to eat with some people from work but I was feeling so bad at work that I cancelled everything and went home and crawled into bed. Thursday I woke up still feeling a little out of it but I had a pretty calm day planned, physical therapy, a workshop, and then chemo, so I just figured I would pull through. I did notice however a big bump that had surfaced on my right breast. It was very soft to the touch so I knew there was fluid under the skin. When I went to physical therapy my therapist took one look at the bump and insisted I call my plastic surgeon immediately and go in even if that meant missing my workshop. I went to my workshop but called Dr. Lenert (My Plastic Surgeon) as soon as her office opened her nurse told me to come in ASAP.

I arrived at her office at 12 and as soon as she looked at the bump she said yeah thats an infection. She told me she wanted to operate immediately to remove the infected implant and that I would need to hospitalized until the infection subsided. I was not allowed to go to chemo and pretty much was sent up the street to the hospital immediately. By 4:30 Thursday night I was having surgery and I have been here ever since. I spiked 2 fevers and my white blood count was very high but it is finally dropping back to normal. A normal white blood count is 3 or 4 and mine was 27 on Friday, 15, Saturday, and 11 today so we are headed in the right direction. I should be discharged tomorrow.

While in the hospital I did make one other discovery...My hair has begun to fall out. I can not touch or comb it without chunks of it coming out at a time. So once I am out of the hospital I am going to get a hair cut. Not going to shave it off or anything just yet but cut it into something a little more manageable. Because at this point I can't even put my hair in a pony tail because all of my edges are gone.

1 comment:

Heather R. said...

::Hugs:: I hope you feel better soon and can go home again. Can Alex visit you while you're in the hospital? It has to be rough being away from him and your husband. You are always in my thoughts and prayers.