AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

I am NOT my hair.



So I am officially free of my hair. Today has been a very emotional one for me. I have tried to mentally prepare myself for this moment from the day I found out that I was battling cancer. But there is nothing that can prepare you for the moment when you must truly face reality. My hair began to fall out while I was in the hospital. It was coming out in chunks and there was really not much I could do with it.

Today I finally decided it was time to let it go. I cried so hard when my hair stylist cut my hair and I cried even more when I got home. While I was pregnant my hair grew soooo much! I loved my post pregnancy hair and it was something I had embraced and now I have NO hair. It was a big pill for me to swallow. But I have embraced it. I have some hair scarfs that I will likely wear daily and I bought some larger earrings and I guess I can get in the habit of throwing on some make up here or there.

I realize like India Arie says "I am not my hair" I can not let this define me or shape who I am. It will grow back!

On another note I have decided that when it does grow back I will not be relaxing it. I have had a perm for two years and I think I am taking this as my opportunity to go back to my natural hair. I loved my afro and I can not wait to have it back!

1 comment: